Here’s an idea for making some money!
By nature, I am an artistic person. Which means if you’re like me, you’re constantly looking for new and fun ways to be creative. I have an idea that may help you use these creative skills, and make a little money while doing it! Interested?
As an employee of Colleen’s, I see people bring furniture into our stores on a daily basis. It seems like every day, I’m still amazed at the variety of unique merchandise that flows through our doors. One thing I’m sure of, furniture designers are true artists! It’s inspiring.
The popular trend right now in the furniture industry is re-purposing old styles and materials. All of a sudden, we’re now starting to see this trend pour over into the consignment marketplace.
THE NEW TREND: One Man’s Trash is Another Man’s Treasure
Everybody has heard this expression. All the time, we have customers bringing us one-of-a-kind furniture that you can’t find at other stores. Some of these people are given unwanted furniture from friends or family. Some are downsizing and don’t have the space anymore. The list goes on and on.
The current trends in the marketplace are breeding a new type of furniture consignor. These consignors are motivated by some of the shows that are growing in popularity like Salvage Dogs, American Pickers, Fixer Uppers, and many other shows on HGTV and DIY networks. In addition, Pinterest plays a role in sharing DIY projects from all over the country that inspire others to try the same. This trend is known as up-cycling. It is the process of converting and reusing waste materials or useless products and create a product of a higher quality or value of the original.
Here’s what these consignors are doing:
- The consignor finds old and used furniture and materials in STORAGE UNITS and GARAGE SALES.
- Purchase it for cheap.
- Put their creative energy to use by giving the old furniture new life. They do this by repairing, changing fabrics, and/or simply giving them a new paint job. (Helpful Hint – Be creative, but don’t overspend. The idea is to make the merchandise more valuable, which will in turn maximize your profits!)
- Once the face lift has happened, they bring the merchandise to Colleen’s Classic Consignment to sell on consignment.
- After the merchandise sells, they receive a check from the sale!
Seems like a cool idea, doesn’t it? In a lot of cases, you could never even tell that some of these items were bought at a garage sale! The merchandise looks brand new.
Count me in!
AN EXAMPLE: Furniture ReDesign
Last week, we had a consignor that really caught my eye. It all started when I noticed some unique chairs on our sales floor, and I had to find out where they came from.
As it turns out, they came from the mind of Lisa Nance who owns a company called “Furniture ReDesign”. By the time I learned who consigned it, I noticed that she had posted a comment on our Facebook page, thanking Justin from our consignment staff for all of his help. Thank you Lisa for giving Justin a shout out!
While on her page, I noticed she had all kinds of creations. I have to tell you, this is exactly what I’m talking about!!! Lisa has turned a hobby into a business.
Is this something you think you could do?
She’s found different kinds of furniture around Las Vegas, and then redesigns it to give it a fresh new look. Creativity wins in these scenarios. Her passion for design shows in her projects. We are lucky enough to be one of the selected stores here in Las Vegas that she consigns some of her work at. What a great contribution to the unique collection of merchandise we have here at Colleen’s Classic Consignment.
Don’t forget… what you may think is trash, could be treasure to another! Taping into the enjoyable treasure hunt vibe we have here at Colleen’s, will help you sell your merchandise FAST. These are the kinds of customers that make Colleen’s such a fun place to be.
We have an ever-changing collection of merchandise thanks to consignors like Lisa. Thank you Lisa!
So Now That You Know Consignment Can Make You Money
Do you understand how to consign your furniture?
Once you have your new creation, the consignment process is actually quite easy. It’s a simple and painless process:
- Any furniture that you want to consign can be dropped off at one of our four locations during business hours.
- During your drop-off, you’ll work together with one of our consignment pricing specialists to determine pricing.
- After you agree on a price with our consignment staff, it will be displayed on our sales floor, usually in a setting of similar furniture.
If you don’t have the capability to deliver the items yourself, we can pick them up for a small fee. You do that by:
- Requesting a pick-up right here.
- Our drivers will come to you. They are well equipped for any size furniture and bring the necessary tools to secure and protect it properly.
- When you’re furniture arrives at the store, it will be examined by a consignment pricing specialist.
- They will reach out to you within 24 hours to discuss pricing.
If you need to make arrangements for a consignment pick up, call 702-247-7602. Or simply click here to go to schedule you’re consignment pick-up online. You will receive a call back within 24 hours.
At this point, all the hard work is over!
Once it is in the store, our sales team will sell it for you. It’s simply that easy!
The more unique the furniture is, the faster it will sell. And trust us… all the great stuff never lasts long! We have a lot of customers that spend time sifting through the merchandise that’s still staged on our back dock! Wouldn’t it be nice to sell your merchandise before it even hits the sales floor? Yeah!!!
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN: Come Join the Fun!
The possibilities are unlimited. Have some fun going to garage sales, then be creative, and then make some money off your creativity!
I know I’ve already been out there looking at garage sales… and I have to tell you, I’ve been finding some great stuff out there. Most garage sales are on the weekend, and Friday’s are when the best merchandise is out there!
Maybe I will see you there?